Monday 5 July 2010

short and sweet. 4

Oxford once more.
My final night here, England won their match so everyone was happy, and when I met my couchsurfer host of the evening he was slightly tipsy from two hours of being patriotic down at the local pub. (As I am in the UK and it is World Cup time, football is a major thread of a lot of these entries...usually I don't care about it, but over here it's hard not to get caught up in the atmosphere.) Speaking of which, Australia played their only winning match on this night and of course there were no other Aussies around for me to get excited with.

My CS host took me to a famous 13th century pub, hidden in the back alleyways of Oxford, absolutely packed with tourists, locals and lots and lots of students. The Turf Tavern...a tiny little pub that looks almost unchanged since it was built 600 years ago, it has been used in the filming of lots of TV shows and is a major draw for tourists in Oxford (of which there are many, all the time, everywhere.)

The next day it was up at 4.30 to catch a bus at 5, to meet Pa at Heathrow and be absolved of organisation or worry for the next month (or so I had hoped).

No comments:

Post a Comment